Before Parenthood: The “I Will Never” List

September 22, 2017

KrisBeeMama is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, meaning KrisBeeMama may earn a small advertising fee for products shown on this site (at no additional charge to you!).

Before I was a mother, parents tried to justify their parenting techniques to me all the time – they would say “just wait until you have kids” or “we’ve tried everything” (followed by a long explanation of their trials leading up to that moment). I could never understand why they felt they needed to explain their reasoning so thoroughly. Had I given them a weird look? Did I say something that made them think I was judging them? Either way their words and reasoning had no meaning until I was there in the middle of it, on the front lines.

Personally, I had very few preconceived notions on what it would be like to be a mom (from my lack of experience with babies and children). But I did have some things I had noted that I KNEW I would never do. I told myself:

• I will never yell at my kids
  • I will never use electronics as a babysitter
  • I will never let my child throw a tantrum at the grocery store
  • I will never regularly make my child hotdogs and other processed foods

Well, the reality of parenthood is very different. Looking back now, I realize that the over-sharing parents weren’t necessarily reacting to anything I said and did. These parents were likely in a constant state of feeling like no matter what they did they would appear to be “bad” parents. While I never thought I was judging parents for their choices, my mental tally of what I would never do as a parent did have an impact. This isn’t to say we shouldn’t form opinions, merely that parenting is so tightly watched that fear has become a real challenge in what I believe can be one of the most difficult tasks life has to offer – raising caring, responsible, self-reliant children.

Parenthood is a constant labyrinth of guessing games. I asked for advise from mom friends and read many books and online articles on how to get my 6-month-old to sleep without an hour long routine (if one thing was messed up, restart the hour) and being able to put him in his crib to sleep (rather than only sleeping on me). All of the information contradicted the next. Through trial and error we ended up with a solution that incorporated bits and pieces from a few sources. It took an amazing amount of work and amounted to a ton of lost sleep and lots of tears, but we eventually got him to sleep in the crib in less time than before (note that the new nightly routine still evolved as he got older, all through guesswork).

In the end, every choice I made was placed under immense scrutiny (did I do the right thing? Would others have done this differently? Is my son going to be “scarred for life” because of anything I had done?). I imagine this is a fairly consistent pattern of questions every parent asks him or herself on a regular basis.

So back to what I thought I would NEVER do as a parent: Now, when I see a mother struggling through her shopping with a screaming child, I want to throw my fist up in the air, not in annoyance, but to show solidarity toward her efforts to maintain her cool and keep marching forward through the aisles. At a booth next to me in a restaurant, I see a father nearly falling asleep with his toddler tapping away on a tablet, and I just want to offer him a pillow. And I feel camaraderie when I see parents looking at the store ads for the food sales in an attempt to stay within a rigid budget – yup, hotdogs are on sale – dinner!!

Sure there are things that I want to do differently from some parents I’ve seen, but I will not delude myself into thinking that I might do the same things if I were in his or her exact circumstances. We never see what it’s like for others behind the curtain, so to speak:

• What stressors are they dealing with?
  • What kind of temperament is their child?
  • How much does that person secretly push down of their own natural tendencies to be a better parent for their child?
  • Do they have any support from family, friends, anyone?
  • Could this just be an off day where their child is pushing every single button possible in an apparent attempt to drive them completely insane?
  • Had their child been up ALL NIGHT sick or just screaming for no apparent reason?

Each and every parent is required to be an ever-changing and growing fixture of authority, play and instruction for their child(ren). Living in a world of too much information, many parents live in constant dread of being judged for their parenting choices even though every single one of us is doing what we can for ourselves and our children (and we all know bad days happen for all of us). So, let’s look for the good in others and support, rather than judge, parents and non-parents alike through this labyrinth of guesswork before us.

I do want to note that whatever the circumstances, I will never agree with any sort of abuse, be that physical or emotional.

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Tara September 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I love this! Everyone has an “idea” of what is it like to be a mom and what they will be like as a mom, but that definitely changes once you actually become a mom. I also love your writing and your writing style.

• KrisBeeMama
      Reply KrisBeeMama September 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Thanks, Tara! It’s all so confusing, overwhelming and wonderful at the same time

• Reply Jessica September 25, 2017 at 3:14 pm

This is awesome! It is totally different once you have a kid than when you think about it.

• KrisBeeMama
      Reply KrisBeeMama September 25, 2017 at 3:20 pm

It sure is! But we all muddle through somehow

• Reply Jaimie September 27, 2017 at 12:25 am

Yes!! I will say I still stand by a lot of my “preconceived parenting ideas”, but there are many that I laugh hysterically at as well! When I have non-parent friends tell me their opinions, I typically just smile and laugh inside without getting offended anymore, because I know they will learn one day too!

• KrisBeeMama
      Reply KrisBeeMama September 27, 2017 at 5:31 am

So true, Jaimie. There’s just no reason to get offended when people are trying to help, no matter their background. But it can be intrusive to me if it’s something I struggle with, and I in no way asked for “help” from her/him. But, my motto is always: “Just roll with it!”

• Reply Mariah October 6, 2017 at 2:05 am

You don’t know what #momlife is going to be bout until you become a mom…. it is a neverending journey.

• KrisBeeMama
      Reply KrisBeeMama October 6, 2017 at 2:25 am

Here, here! The learning and growing never stops 🙂

• Reply Sarah October 6, 2017 at 2:11 am

It’s so funny our perspective “before” we are parents. I was right there with you. I still have family members that make those comments “when I have kids” lol. Good read, thanks!

• KrisBeeMama
      Reply KrisBeeMama October 6, 2017 at 2:27 am

Sometimes I hear pregnant first-time-moms say the “I will never” sentences, but I know not to say anything. 1) they are welcome to their opinion and 2) anything I say may or may not be taken to heart – everyone will have their own experiences regardless.

• Reply Kimberly McGraw October 6, 2017 at 2:15 am

Such a great article! And sooo true!! It’s amazing how little we give others the benefit of the doubt; thank you for this reminder!

• Reply Sherry October 6, 2017 at 2:43 am

Experience always moves us from judgement to compassion. Glad to for the reminder to move towards compassion and support.

• Reply Kaila October 6, 2017 at 2:43 am

I can relate so much to this…it’s almost like you took the words right out of my mouth. I wish we all judged our fellow moms a little less and supported our fellow moms a little more! This is a great reminder!

• Reply elizabeth October 6, 2017 at 2:43 am

So funny and oh so true!

• Reply Sarah October 6, 2017 at 6:33 am

So true! The things you say before becoming a parent, you think you are going to be the best because you are going to be able to do everything the best way, but then you have these lovely little people……you are sleep deprived, running after them, trying to make them eat something and in some ways you aren’t being what you imagined, but it is ok! As long as you give them love , care and respect those are some of the most important aspects of being a good parent for me now that I mother of 3. I love your honesty in writing this.

• Reply Colleen AKA Hopeless*Mom October 6, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I 100% had this same list going into motherhood and I’ve 100% lost at each one. A nice reminder that I’m not alone! 🙂

• Reply Pernille October 6, 2017 at 6:56 pm

And then you add more kids if you are crazy after surviving the first one. I am sure my first born will need endless hours of therapy because his 6 years younger sister gets to do things I said I would never do 🙂

• Reply Monica October 6, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I love your writing style Kristine! As the mother of a 26-year-old daughter, I can honestly say that from time to time, I still question my parenting skills when she was younger. I agree that there are many trial and error decisions, but I cherish every stage of our journey! As I’m sure you do also.

• Reply Nicky October 7, 2017 at 6:13 pm

I found it fascinating working in education for many years, the difference between the teachers before they have a child and after!